Attention: Movie lovers, gay men and women (and their friends!), Filipinos, islanders who have just had enough of Hollywood! Here’s a chance to see an indie film that has film buffs talking all over the world.
Mga Pusang Gala (Stray Cats) will be shown at Fiesta Resort and Spa's Hibiscus Hall tonight, Monday, June 4, 2007, 7:30pm. A forum on gay rights will follow at 9:30pm. The panel will include director Ellen Ongkeko, actor Ricky Davao, and local community members.
Tickets are at $10 each. Proceeds will go to the Napu Life Foundation.
Here’s a synopsis of the Stray Cats from the UH website:
Director: Ellen OngkekoCast: Irma Adlawan and Ricky DavaoPhilippines 2006118 min.Tagalog w/English Subtitles
Mga Pusang Gala (Stray Cats) is a daring, innovative comic-romance fantasy, a parody which depicts love, sex, romance and loneliness in a way never before seen in Philippine cinema. It is fantasy incarnate all over: a battle of the sexes where this time around, the sexes are not just two but three.
Mga Pusang Gala tells the story of parallel love lives: that of Marta, a middle-age advertising practioner; and that of her, just as aging, gay friend and landlord Boyet, a romance novelist. Their lives are punctuated by their waiting for the menwho they think will fulfill their dreams. Boyet’s novels are inspired by Marta’s idiosyncratic anxieties for Steve, her non-committal boyfriend. Marta is tacitly envious of Boyet’s gathering of a family by adopting Jojo, a 15-year old pickpocket and Dom, his financially dependent lover. Both are willing to play the stereotypical roles of woman and gay to embrace a hopeful fantasy. But as these hopes turn out to be illusions they decide to take matters into their own hands, in a riveting confrontation. What happens next is inevitable but unsettling.
To date, Stray Cats has been shown in, or invited to, these international film festivals:
- 20th edition Fribourg International Film Festival, Switzerland,March 12-19, 2006
- Panorama Section, Philippines: Digital Cinema from Revolution to Evolution
- Newfest 2006: The 18th New York Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Film Festival, June 1-11, 2006
- Frameline 30, the San Francisco LGBT Film Festival,USA, June 15-25,2006; Winner, Docker’s Best 1st Feature
- Dallas LBGT Film Festival, Oct. 28, 2006
- Reel Affirmations, Chicago LGBT Film Festival, Nov. 5, 2006; Competition
- Montreal, Qb, Canada. Image Nation Film Festival Nov. 16-26, 2006
- Melbourne Queer Film Festival, March 15-25, 2007
- Mardi Gras Film Festival, Sydney Australia, Feb. 15-March 1, 2007
- TLVFEST 2007, Tel Aviv, June 18-23, 2007
- Films of Desire: Sexuality and the Cinematic Imagination, India, March 6-10, 2007.
- Miami Gay and Lesbian Film Festival, April 27-May 6, 2007